Gone are the days of the washboard, clothesline, and wood-burning stove. It is no secret that homeowners rely heavily on their appliances to increase usable hours in the day while adding comfort to their lives. So, it stands to reason the machines we use so often would need appliance maintenance from time to time.
At Optimal Appliance Repair, we know just how critical those appliances are to your everyday schedule. Are you on a routine for appliance maintenance? If not, here are the reasons you may want to consider doing so.
Top Reasons for Appliance Maintenance is Necessary
As busy as we all are, we tend to take our appliances for granted and only give them attention when they break down. As you know, when one of them doesn’t work correctly, a wrench is thrown into your day. But, repairs after a significant appliance failure can be pretty costly. And often, those repairs can be prevented entirely.
At Optimal Appliance Repair, we feel performing regular maintenance on your appliances is absolutely necessary. Appliance owners should service their machines regularly with a professional local appliance repair company.
Keep reading to learn the top reasons why.
Optimal Appliance Maintenance
For your machine’s overall health and the optimal running of the business of your home, each of these top reasons is equally essential. Suppose you want your days to flow smoothly from task to task and your appliances to work while you are busy doing other things. In that case, appliance maintenance is a good idea for the following reasons.
Maintain Your Appliances For Efficiency
When appliances aren’t well maintained, they tend to work harder than they need to, burning more electricity or gas. For instance, if a refrigerator tends to stay cracked open, it will burn away too much energy while attempting to maintain the internal temperature.
A dryer with a dirty filter or a partially clogged exhaust vent is a double problem. That dryer won’t dry your clothes as well, but more importantly, it’s a huge fire hazard. Additionally, you end up running the dryer longer to get your clothes dry, if at all. You don’t want to burn unnecessary energy and add to your utility bills, now do you?
Clearly, as appliances age, natural wear-and-tear slows efficiency. The parts with minor damage cause significant issues in the long run. And when the appliance has lower energy efficiency, it costs more money to run.
That is why scheduling appliance maintenance with an appliance repair company is needed to catch those little things you may not even notice. For instance, checking the filters in AC units or dryers and removing debris improves airflow and decreases the motor’s effort.
Maintenance Saves Money
Simply put, if your appliances work harder than they should, they will require more money and energy. And a sign that one or more instruments in your home need maintenance or repair is a higher than usual energy bill.
You see, normal wear-and-tear on your appliances can impact efficiency if the machine is not cared for from time to time. Some common problems are blocked ducts or tubes, clogged filters, and faulty sensors. Ensure your appliances are running as efficiently as possible and keep your energy bills down with routine appliance maintenance.
Appliance Maintenance Extends Appliance Lifespan
As with all machinery, having regular tune-ups and oil changes on the car extends the vehicle’s life. In fact, regular checkups extend our human lives as well. Regularly maintaining your appliances is just the same; it helps them live longer too.
Not only do appliances use too much energy when not cared for, but they also burn themselves out faster. For example, when your clogged-up dishwasher doesn’t clean the dishes as it should, so you end up running it twice. One thing you can do at home is to regularly follow the maintenance procedures printed in your owner’s manuals. Doing so will keep them running well for much longer, and that is good news.
Put Safety First WIth Appliance Maintenance
Did you know damaged wires, loose fittings, clogged valves, and cracked seals all can start a fire in the home? One of the most critical reasons for routine appliance maintenance is to prevent safety hazards. Each year, thousands of house fires are caused by those malfunctioning appliances. However, it is straightforward: to avoid damage or injury from appliance fires, try appliance maintenance.
- A dishwasher that’s not draining well can flood your kitchen.
- A refrigerator that’s running too warm can sicken your entire family.
- A dryer with a blocked vent can literally burn your house to the ground.
That is a nightmare you could do without. So, maintain your appliances well to reduce the risk of appliance-related property damage.
Appliances never break down when it is convenient. And when any one of your appliances malfunctions, it creates a domino effect on busy schedules. We are sure you know that. But most of the surprise repairs can be avoided when appliances are consistently maintained.
If you run into trouble, call an experienced technician. When your appliances are not operating correctly or for regular maintenance, we are here for you and your appliance needs.
Help Maintain Your Appliances with These Tips
We think caring for your home appliances gives you pride in a job well done and time well spent. There are plenty of at-home things you can do to maintain your appliances between professional service.
Therefore, if you are struggling with where to begin maintaining your appliances, never fear.Optimal Appliance Repair has put together these tips to help you get started.
- Cleaning the Stovetop: The stovetop could use a good scrub down no matter the type of range you have. Take off the knobs and clean under them. And don’t neglect the sides between the stovetop and counter.
- Good Oven Care: If your oven has a self-clean setting, you are in luck. Set the cleaning timer and let it do its job. If not, get a good oven cleaner and some gloves and get to work.
- Clean out the Refrigerator: It may be past time to perform a bit of fridge maintenance. Here are some ideas to make the task less daunting. Check expiration dates and throw out expired items. Wipe down the shelves and inside the fridge. See if the water filter needs to be replaced. And finally, dust off the coils and change the filter if you have one.
- Washing the Dishwasher: Check the filter at the unit’s bottom and ensure there is no residue or food particles. Make sure all lines and fittings are leak-free and tight. Then run the dishwasher empty with a cleaner to refresh the entire interior.
- Clean the Microwave: This one is simpler than most think. Take a large glass measuring cup of water and set it for two minutes. When the two minutes are up, leave the water in the microwave with the door closed for another few minutes. The steam created will loosen anything stuck inside the unit. Then wipe it out with a rag or a bit of vinegar and water.
- Small Countertop Appliances: The mixer, the toaster, the coffee maker, and the waffle iron all could use some love after use. Don’t forget to give them a good once-over cleaning too. You can find plenty of how-to cleaning tips on the internet and the appliance manuals too.
- Don’t Forget the Garbage Disposal: Clean the garbage disposal out with tabs purchased at the grocery store and hot water. Occasionally, you can put a quartered lemon in the disposal to freshen it up and keep the gunk to a minimum.
It is not difficult to help your appliances stay in tip-top working condition between regularly scheduled maintenance visits with these tips. Your technician and your devices will thank you for the effort.
Appliance Maintenance and Repair with Optimal Appliance Repair
If one of your appliances is not working up to your standards, a repair might be necessary or at least a service check. Call an experienced professional appliance and repair specialist who will restore machines to top condition. Regular appliance maintenance is the key to keeping your home running smoothly and safely.
Optimal Appliance Repair is the local appliance repair company that you can count on. For 15+ years, our owner-operated business has been serving customers in the Capital Region. We specialize in repairing appliances, including refrigerators, washing machines, dryers, stoves, dishwashers, and much more.
Contact our appliance repair service to get on the schedule for your appliance maintenance or repair today.